[mdlug] HP Laptop Mic

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 16 19:31:22 EDT 2008

Deepan,

> I have ...
> I am able to listen to music on the built in speakers.
> The [builtin] mic doesn't work and when connecting
> external speakers I don't get the sound on the
> external speakers [, though] my built in speakers
> continue to work. ...

I would be surprised if changing software had any impact at all.

Every laptop I've seen, has a player-style speaker jack
(usu. 1.5mm stereo) with 5 wires on the motherboard.
When no plug is in the jack, the sound card output is directed
to the builtin speakers.  When a plug is inserted into the jack,
it mechanically disconnects the builtin speakers, and connects
the output to the tip and rings on the plug.

If you are still hearing the sound on the builtin speakers,
I would guess that your plug is not mechanically fitting into
the jack (probable), or that the jack is broken (less probable).

I have seen laptops and players that require longer speaker plugs
to reach past thicker walls that provide sturdiness.  Usually if the jack
is broken (i.e. by forcing a too-large plug into it), the builtin
speakers are permanently disconnected.

Additionally, to avoid feedback, my laptop and many other appliances
disable the builtin microphone when the builtin speakers are wired
into the circuit.

I suggest that you try a diffent set of speakers with longer plug,
or use an adapter with a longer plug.

Hopefully helpful,
--
Bob

  "All that is necessory for the triumph of evil,
   is that enough good men do nothing."
     -- Edmund Burke