[mdlug] Well, shucks - motherboard/CPU advice needed

Garry Stahl tesral at comcast.net
Wed Mar 12 07:59:17 EDT 2008

Ingles, Raymond wrote:
>  Yeah, but the price is even higher than that, because with no onboard
> video I'd need to pick up a PCI Express video card, too. We have four
> kids, every penny counts.
>
>  I think I'll price out what it'd take to get a MB w/onboard graphics,
> and what it'd take to get a more expandable MB, and see if I can sell the
> wife on the higher-priced option. :->

I didn't think you could get a MB without on board video and sound these
days.  I prefer a separate video cards as the on board digs into your
system RAM for the display.  Not being a twitch gamer I don't need the
latest (Gate has a G Force 4, a bit dated these days)

BTW, if you want to haul that box over Thursday I have a few video cards
we could try and see if Aaron is right.  I also have a PSU tester.
Hardware is us.  I might not know my way around the command line, but I
can build a box.

--
Garry  AKA  --Phoenix--  Rising above the Flames.

Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
The Olde Phoenix Inn http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com
Metro Detroit Linux Users Group http://www.mdlug.org