[mdlug] Well, shucks - motherboard/CPU advice needed

Joseph C. Bender jcbender at bendorius.com
Tue Mar 11 17:17:56 EDT 2008

Ingles, Raymond wrote:
>> From: Michael Rudas
>

>  Just so I'm clear: would that adapter allow me to hook up two drives to one
> SATA plug? I mean, technically I have four drives, two HDs and two DVD drives.
> The one onboard IDE header will support two of those drives.

	Not generally.  Usually it's one converter, one drive.

	My thought is that if you're really wanting to keep those two disks
around, put the SATA-IDE converters on the hard disks and run the DVD
drives master/slave on the IDE channel.

	But if you can cough up an extra $120 or so, just get a pair of 160GB
SATA drives and be done with it.  If you're not getting a motherboard
these days that doesn't have at least 4 SATA ports on it, you're wasting
your money.