[mdlug] Well, shucks - motherboard/CPU advice needed

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Mar 11 13:01:36 EDT 2008

> From: Michael Rudas

> There are a variety of MBs available at Micro Center that should fill
> your needs.  Something like this:
> <http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0259059>

 That looks pretty reasonable indeed, though there's one sticking point:

> You could put in a SATA-in/ATA-out adapter on the burner to gain that extra
> interface free.  I, too, like having both a DVD-ROM and a DVD burner in my systems:
> <http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0266720>

 Just so I'm clear: would that adapter allow me to hook up two drives to one
SATA plug? I mean, technically I have four drives, two HDs and two DVD drives.
The one onboard IDE header will support two of those drives.

 Would that adapter allow me to hook up two more drives, or do I need
one adapter per drive? As I said, I can live without the other DVD drive,
but it'd be nice to have... if not, I could take Garry up on his offer of a
PCI IDE controller, but I'd have to give up the SBLive (only two PCI slots
on that board).

 If I got that MB, I'd probably pair it with these:
 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0256275
 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0253284

 CPU is midrange, but dual-core (I'd miss SMP if I didn't have it :-> ) and
the memory is maxed out (I wasn't feeling cramped in 1GB, really). Should be
adequate for my needs for some time to come.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                              (313) 227-2317

 "One man's 'magic' is another man's 'engineering'. 'Supernatural' is a
                    null word." - Robert Heinlein