[mdlug] USB burners

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Fri Jul 25 10:26:20 EDT 2008

> From: Robert Citek

> Since the PATA laptop drive is powered over USB, I don't need all the
> other pieces.  However, the SATA connector doesn't get power over USB.
>  So, I'm looking for a SATA power over USB adapter, if such a thing
> exists.

 Ah. I dunno, the power requirements of such a connector might not be
doable w/USB.

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Power

 It needs 5V and 12V signals, and sometimes even 3.3V. Notebook drives
(with the 44-pin ATA cable) get all their power in a 5V signal, same as
the USB power voltage. Voltage conversion and such would lose some power
efficiency, and bigger SATA drives would have more power draw than
notebook ATA drives - instead of taking up two USB ports, you'd probably
need at least three.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                  (313) 227-2317

   "These modern kids don't know the simple joy of saving
   four bytes of page-0 memory on a 6502 box." - isomeme