[mdlug] USB burners

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 09:40:25 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Ingles, Raymond
<Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:
>> From: Raymond McLaughlin
>
>> > I'd use SATA laptop drives, but haven't figured out how to power them.
>
>> Ah! You got the one with out the power brick.
>
>  Mine came with a separate power brick, that has a standard 3.5" power
> connector. It also came with an adapter to turn that "molex" connector
> into a SATA power plug. You can buy similar things:
>
>  http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=SATA_power
>
>  (Note, that's just an example, the first hit from Google for "sata power
> adapter". You might find a better deal elsewhere, I didn't check.)

Mine also came with a separate AC power brick and the molex to SATA
power converter.  For an image of the parts:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WbM7Vp6nL._SS500_.jpg

Since the PATA laptop drive is powered over USB, I don't need all the
other pieces.  However, the SATA connector doesn't get power over USB.
 So, I'm looking for a SATA power over USB adapter, if such a thing
exists.

Regards,
- Robert