[mdlug] PS3 video converson (was: USB burners)

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Thu Jul 24 11:52:59 EDT 2008

> From: Ingles, Raymond

>  What's bugging me right now is that I've tried converting movies and such
> to formats the PS3 says it supports, but so far it won't play any of 'em.

 Problem solved, it was an unintuitive PS3 GUI issue. You have to highlight
the USB drive, hit the "triangle" button on the controller, and then
select "display all". At that point you can actually see the files and
folders, and select video files to play.

 The PS3 does a good job scaling the video up for our 1080p TV. I've only
tried Divx format for now (same as for my Palm) but on the PS3 I might try
h264, it's got the CPU for it.

 Here's the script I used to convert some FLV files to Divx for display on
the PS3:

----------------
#!/bin/sh

# Converts FLVs to AVI files suitable for viewing outside of web browsers.

# If you're skipping frames, increase FPS. If duplicating, decrease FPS.
# Usual values are 24000/1001 (23.976), 24, 25 (PAL), 30000/1001 (29.97), 30.
#OFPS=24000/1001
#OFPS="-ofps 30000/1001"
OFPS="-ofps 30"

# If mencoder misdentifes the FPS of the input file, set it here.
#IFPS="-fps 30000/1001"
IFPS="-fps 30"

# If your system has more than one cpu/core, multithreading may help. Set this
# value to the number of cores you have available.
#THREADS=":threads=2"

# Set audio mode - these are arranged in decreasing order of likelyhood
# to sync properly
# Most FLVs already have MP3 audio, no need to mess with it.
AUDIO=copy
# Constant bit rate MP3, the 'br' field sets the bit rate
#AUDIO="mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128"
# Average bit rate MP3, the 'br' field sets the bit rate
#AUDIO="mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128"
# Variable bit rate MP3, sometimes has sync problems
#AUDIO="mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3"

# Set crop, if needed
# Get these numbers by running the command: mplayer -ss 60 -vf scale=320:-2,cropdetect [file]
#CROP=",crop=320:160:0:28"

# For mixed progressive/telecined content
#PULLUP=",pullup,softskip"

# Set video bit rate, feel free to experiment here to see what fits
#VBITRATE=224
#VBITRATE=336
#VBITRATE=448
#VBITRATE=512
VBITRATE=1024

# Use DIVX
DIVX="-ffourcc divx"

# These are the key parameters we gotta have from the user.
# Spaces in the output file name are probably not a good idea.
MOVIE=$1
NEWNAME=$2.avi

# Just in case one's left over from a previous encoding run.
rm -rf divx2pass.log

# Two-pass encoding, takes longer but produces best quality for a given bitrate
mencoder ${MOVIE} ${IFPS} -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:turbo:vbitrate=${VBITRATE}${THREADS} ${OFPS} ${DIVX} -oac ${AUDIO} -af volnorm -o /dev/null

mencoder ${MOVIE} ${IFPS} -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2:vbitrate=${VBITRATE}${THREADS} ${OFPS} ${DIVX} -oac ${AUDIO} -af volnorm -o ${NEWNAME}

# Clean up after ourselves.
rm -rf divx2pass.log

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                    (313) 227-2317

 The above opinions are probably not those of Compuware Corp.
                          Yet.