[mdlug] USB burners

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Wed Jul 23 12:33:27 EDT 2008

> From: Rich Elswick

> Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:
> > I've plugged 'naked'
> > drives into my laptop and my PS3, and they work.

> nice!  Can you install Linux on your external hard drive through the PS3
> 'alternate OS' install menu option?  I would love to try something like that
> out without the 'potential' of losing my PS3 saved games.

 I dunno. Every "howto" I've seen assumes you'll repartition the internal
drive. I think you have to install onto the PS3 because the PS3 actually
runs Linux in a bit of a virtual machine. You don't get full access to the
graphics card or the CPU. You don't even get full access to the disk - Linux
can only "see" what's been partitioned for it, the rest of the disk with the
PS3's data is hidden. I think the PS3 has to set up that virtual machine. :-/

 What's bugging me right now is that I've tried converting movies and such
to formats the PS3 says it supports, but so far it won't play any of 'em.
I've been using mencoder and trying to follow the directions on the web, so
far without success. Has anyone taken a video (DVD, downloaded movie, home
movie) and converted it to something a PS3 will play off a flash drive?

> BTW, Ray, my username on PS3 is ThePainBank

 I'm 'sorceror171', but don't expect to see me around there much. To quote
Tycho of Penny Arcade, "I do not contribute anything material to the
competitive landscape. I am there to give players of actual merit a break
between epic struggles." :->

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                           (313) 227-2317

 "The computing industry is given 12 months to deploy a technology
 that does not exist and whose sole purpose is to protect profits.
 The car industry was allowed decades to deploy safety features such
    as seat belts and air bags that were designed to save lives."
   - Zeinfeld, on the SSSCA, a proposed law that would mandate all
 computers to prevent any file copying whatsoever unless explicitly
          approved by the entertainment conglomerates