[mdlug] OT: Comcast SMTP server

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 10 22:21:29 EDT 2008

Michael, Garry,

> Michael Corral wrote:
>> The only reason I even got that information was because I lied and
>> told them I was using Outlook in Windows XP. :) I also mentioned
>> Thunderbird, which was a big mistake because they were convinced it
>> was a Thunderbird issue. Good thing I didn't mention Alpine or Linux!
> I didn't have any problem getting the proper port setting.  But it would
> have been reasonable of them to inform people of the port change.

Consider using WWNet.

A few years ago, WWNet changed the port as well.  Though they said it
had been posted previously on their webmail site, I only noticed
through loss of service.

I remember however, that WWNet had no problem with linux use, and pointed
me at the correct SuSE and postfix settings.

Bellsouth also uses smtps, knows I use linux, and helped me diagnose
a dsl setup problem via linux (though the problem turned out to be
unrelated to dsl, rather a typo in the paper service application).

Reporting,
--
Bob

  "Real Patriots, who may resist the intrigues of the favourite, are liable
   to become suspected and odious; while its tools and dupes usurp the
   applause & confidence of the people, to surrender their interests."
	 -- George Washington