[mdlug] OT: Comcast SMTP server

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Thu Jul 10 19:56:15 EDT 2008

For the last few days I haven't been able to send email from my
Comcast account with any mail client besides Comcast's official
webmail client. I haven't been able to ping their SMTP server
(smtp.comcast.net) or connect to port 25 on it. So today I called
their tech support and found out that you now have to connect to
their SMTP server on port 465 using SSL. For an Alpine user like
myself, that means setting the "smtp-server" option to this:

smtp.comcast.net:465/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=your_user_name

The only reason I even got that information was because I lied and
told them I was using Outlook in Windows XP. :) I also mentioned
Thunderbird, which was a big mistake because they were convinced it
was a Thunderbird issue. Good thing I didn't mention Alpine or Linux!

Michael