[mdlug] Best File System for 1TB Raid5

Stan Green Stan at mcomputersolutions.com
Tue Jul 8 22:54:19 EDT 2008

I recently added three 500gb SATA drives, using a Promise SATA300 Tx4
controller, configured with software Raid as Raid5. The file system is EXT3.
However, I have seen two instances of EXT3 becoming read-only due to errors.
I have had to run fsck.ext3 have seen a large (+200) number of errors in the
file system. (Not sure why.)

This got me to thinking is EXT3 the best, most stable, file system for this
size of partition? The data includes both very large files (+4GB) and a large
number of small files. From what I have read so far, it look like either JFS
or XFS might be the way to go.

I am still in testing mode for this configuration, so I can change file
systems if it will result in a better system.

Any thoughts on what file system would be best for this configuration?

Thanks,
Stan Green