[mdlug] [Request] (dis)recommendations for gcc function call sequence

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 30 08:29:26 EST 2008

Thanks to all,

>> I just learned of gcc -finstument-functions, ...
>> but will require ... to humanize the data.
> I'll look at etrace to see it is easier.

etrace is what I was looking for.

Though not as critical, I would be interested in seeing arguments.

Has anyone used gdbserver with tracepoints?
Has anyone used gdb with a non-interactive script?

I tried
  (gdbserver :2159 ./tak &); gdb ./tak <<EOF
  target remote :2159
  trace main
  actions
  collect $args
  end
  trace tak
  actions
  collect $args
  end
  set logging file tak.log
  set logging on
  tstart
  EOF
but
  tstart was reported as "not supported by target"
  replacement of tstart with cont ignored tracepoints
  replacement of tracepoints with breakpoints required
	      precise cont/finish sequence

What does "not supported by target" mean?

TIA,
--
Bob

   the one that heralds new discoveries,