[mdlug] [Request] (dis)recommendations for gcc function call sequence

Robert Meier list1c30fe42 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 29 19:25:39 EST 2008

David, Ray, Kristian, and all

Thank you for responding.

I just learned of gcc -finstument-functions,
which seems to do what I want,
but will require some compiling with nm(1), m4(1), and perl(1)
to humanize the data.

I'll look at etrace to see it is easier.

I have too much code to step through interactively,
so I had rejected gdb.
However, I've been credibly informed that gdb can be scripted,
a feature I may look into.

Unfortunately, dtrace seems to depend on kernel alterations,
yet-to-be-ported to linux by frysk.

Thanks to all,
--
Bob

  "Few tragedies can be more extensive than the stunting of life,
   few injustices deeper than the denial of an opportunity to strive,
   or even to hope, by a limit imposed from without,
   but falsely identified as lying within."
     -- Stephen Jay Gould