[mdlug] CMS opinions

Michael newmaniese at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 13:13:29 EST 2008

I would avoid GoDaddy at any cost. It's the wal-mart of server companies. If
anything was to go wrong with your server trying to get someone on the phone
who is actually in the server room is a pain.

For simple things their support does an alright job, but if anything a
little screwy goes on they will immediately tell you that your server needs
to be reprovisioned. I had an issue with a dedicated server that I had
through them and after a day of being escalated to figure out what was going
on (Read a day without a server) I was told that the server was in Kernel
Panic, bad news.

Lucky for me I was able to run the site in house for a couple of days while
I was talking to GoDaddy about options to get my databases off the old
drives (I was dumb and hadn't backed up for a week). The server 'magically'
came back up during that time. Looking at the logs, the server was running
while I was told that it was in kernel panic. The only issue I could see was
that named.conf was configured wrong, so the DNS settings were wrong.

The server was down for a week, all due to the fact that a person in the
server room never looked at the server. Just because their off site people
couldn't get into the server, it was automatically deemed kernel panic.

There is no automatic backup plans that you can buy on their dedicated
servers and apparently (when looking around at blogs and what not) they are
quick to do the same thing if there is hardware failure.

I guess you can read this as if there is a problem with your server, the
money that you save by going with GoDaddy you will lose because your server
will be down for at least a day at a pop, even if you (yourself) set up a
great backup system you will still be down for an entire day.

Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't touch GoDaddy hosting with a 100 foot CAT 5
cable. Did I mention that my Web negotiations increased in speed 3 fold when
I switched to a local company? Not to mention the fact that I am helping the
local economy.

Michael Newman