[mdlug] Interesting information about Windows "7"

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 14:15:01 EST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 12:26 PM, Ingles, Raymond <Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com> wrote:
>  Well, actually, many games require particular hardware on the video card to
> run. For example, Hardware T&L, or shaders, or texture compression, or
> whatever.
>
>  Actually, modern games have multiple 'render paths' that optimize for
> different graphics hardware. The Source engine (Half-Life 2 and all) has
> at least three that I know of for different versions of DirectX.

That's exactly what I was referring to.  In addition, there are
required CPU instructions also.  Quake 4 will not run on my Athlon
1.3GHz system at all because some of the enhanced instructions are not
available.

The consumer view is different.  It's a lot easier to buy a
PlayStation 3 game by looking for games with the brand than it is to
compare complicated CPU and video card specs between a PC game's
minimum system requirements and their PC specs (if they have any idea
what they are or how to find them).