[mdlug] Interesting information about Windows "7"

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Fri Jan 25 12:26:45 EST 2008

> From: Aaron Kulkis

> When was the last time you had to select a sound card
> or video card as the first step to starting a game?

 Well, actually, many games require particular hardware on the video card to
run. For example, Hardware T&L, or shaders, or texture compression, or
whatever.

> But the game writer doesn't know (and doesn't need
> to know) the difference between an ATI graphics
> card and an nVidea graphics card, like they did
> when games asked if you had a Hercules graphics
> adapter or not.

 Actually, modern games have multiple 'render paths' that optimize for
different graphics hardware. The Source engine (Half-Life 2 and all) has
at least three that I know of for different versions of DirectX.

> And the purpose of an operating system is to make everything
> just as predictable REGARDLESS of whether the hardware
> changes or not.

 "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

 I do write portable code (for a living) and I can tell you that even with
standards and so forth, it is *not* always easy. Even if you write to a
standard, different implementations can have significant issues. I've had
to code around issues with pthreads on different platforms, and WBEM was
a horrifying nightmare. I worked on five different platforms and every
single one was not only different from the standard, but different from
every *other* implementation of the standard.

 That being said, the two key APIs for Linux gaming - the SDL and OpenGL -
are *very* well-written standards that actually *do* have a high degree of
portability. Not perfect - I've never run into a standard that covered all
the bases, ANSI C included - but refreshingly good.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                          (313) 227-2317

 "If one is going to use standard units, one should do it right and
               use Kelvins. That way nobody is happy."
           - Linux Weekly News, on Fahrenheit vs. Celsius