[mdlug] what am I missing about debian and java?

Michael Corral micorral at comcast.net
Fri Jan 25 12:40:52 EST 2008

2008-01-25, Monsieur Dean Durant a ecrit:
> Hello, is there something about java and debian I'm not getting?   Java for the web browser is included with Knoppix.   I installed Debian, and no java for either IceWeasel or Epiphany.   I tried to download java & install it, no luck.   I tried Kubuntu, no luck.   Knoppix is based on Debian, so what is the difference?
>
> Is there some philosophical difference between java and Debian that knoppix overlooks?

Get the Sun JDK or JRE from http://java.sun.com and everything should
work. Just make a soft link in your web browser's plugins directory
to ${JAVA_HOME}/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so. That worked
for me with Iceweasel in Fedora.

I was under the impression that Ubuntu shipped with Sun's Java, dunno
about Debian. Either way it's pretty easy to install Java in any distro.

Michael