[mdlug] Linux and Digital Photography

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Fri Jan 25 10:25:38 EST 2008

> PS Personally I have put off buying a digital slr. They are
> expensive and the advancement in the technology have been
> happening at a very fast pace making them some what obsolete
> in a relatively short time. Although this trend seems to be
> slowing some what.
>
> A friend of mine bought a Nikon D1, spent a lot of money on
> it. Great Camera and fun to work with, but it's basically
> obsolete today.
>
> I can go out and buy the latest roll of 35mm file and stick
> it in my Leica M3 and take advantage of all the improvements
> in film tech since the camera was produced.
>
> My 2cents

	I'm on my second DSLR and this second body is one I plan on keeping
ahold of for a while, even when I pick up my next DSLR Body to use as my
primary camera.

	The RAW format provide the benefits of both standard negative film
and slide film, with the drawbacks of neither.

	Unless you do your own darkroom work, chances are your film will be
scanned into a computer and the resulting image would be exposed to the
paper using a laser and that result would slide through the chemical bath.

	I do own a film body, that I use to exclusively shoot B&W film for
developing myself, once I have cleared the space and found the time to fix
my enlarger and setup a washing system and pick up a film and print dryer.

	Thanks for the links. It's been a while since I have given a serious
look to "Pro" tools for photo editing on Linux. Perhaps some of these could
be of use alongside the PS Elements I am using right now or maybe they could
be used in conjunction with The GIMP and make it more "passable" as a PS CS3
replacement.

	-Rob