[mdlug] Interesting information about Windows "7"

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Tue Jan 22 21:55:43 EST 2008

Robert Adkins wrote:
> [...]

But exactly how much is IN milestone 1?

Probably not much more than a demonstration of an
ability to load and execute programs, against a
very very small library of functions, including
some basic GUI I/O, and maybe networking.

On the other hand, it only took me 4 weeks to write
a multi-tasking kernel on a lowly 6809.

Re-creating the code base for XP and standard
apps (like Office) is going to be quite the task --
the current office suite assumes a non-modular
kernel design with all of the crazy side-effects

> 	If anything in this article comes really close to correct, I have
> some concern for the potential growth in desktop marketshare for Linux this
> next year. If any of it is true, this is a crucial year for Linux to make
> significant inroads, since the window of opportunity could shrink
> considerably.

Well, given that the embodiment of everything that's
wrong with relying on MS has all come to the forefront
simultaneously with Vista, the next 24 months are
probably the best chance that we'll ever have to get
Linux on the corporate desktop.