[mdlug] Interesting information about Windows "7"

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Tue Jan 22 21:19:18 EST 2008

Robert Adkins wrote:
> [...]

But Microsoft also has a track record of taking 3 to 5 attempts
before they get ANYTHING right.

I wouldn't count on Microsoft getting a good handle on
modularity any sooner than 2015.

> 	I would just like, in the meantime, for Linux to make additional
> inroads and potentially grab enough of the market that Microsoft will start
> considering to do something actually beneficial with some of its newly
> modularized components.
>
> 	I for one, would have absolutely no problem with using Linux as my
> desktop, buying "DirectX for Linux" (For anywhere from $30 to $60 in order
> to play DirectX Games with no problem) and having the option of using some
> other MS technologies, IF for some reason I actually had a need/use for
> them.

That will never happen as an official product offering from
MS until some judge breaks up the company into two or more
legally, financially, and managerially seperate corporations,
each with a seperate boards of directors with no cross
contamination (either by board members and/or employees)
from one corporation to the other.

Or until Linux has more than 50% of the desktop marketplace,
placing a DirectX API product as a rear-guard action to
stave off financial doom.