[mdlug] Interesting information about Windows "7"

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Tue Jan 22 13:31:17 EST 2008

> From: Robert Adkins

> 	You haven't been reading much about Windows "7". They intend on
> making it considerably more modular. As I understand it, the OS is being
> designed to be quite tweakable and modularized specifically to make it
> faster to put together as well as easier to tweak for specific purposes.

 That'll be a major cultural shift, then. I'm not sure they can pull *that*
off, either, in that kind of timeframe. If they do manage to do so, well, it'll
be welcome competition - but I'm still minded of Henry Spencer's famous line,
"hose who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Sounds
like they are taking pages from "The Art Of Unix Programming". It took Unix
quite a while to get everything right, even by copying the playbook I'm not
convinced MS can turn around that fast.

> 	I for one, would have absolutely no problem with using Linux as my
> desktop, buying "DirectX for Linux" (For anywhere from $30 to $60 in order
> to play DirectX Games with no problem)

 That'd be interesting. A long way off, I suspect, but eventually possible.
I don't see MS going away for the foreseeable future, but I suspect they'll be
like IBM - a big player, but still one option among many.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                    (313) 227-2317

  "...while several federal agencies acknowledge that they
   contribute names to the [secret blacklist of people not
  allowed to fly on commercial flights], none of them, when
 contacted by The Chronicle, could or would say which agency
   is responsible for managing the list." - S.F. Chronicle