[mdlug] ASSP update...

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Mon Jan 21 17:21:20 EST 2008

Michael ORourke wrote:
> I'm doing maint from a PuTTY window, no double clicking here. :-)
> Actually,
> all the filenames under /okmail look like they already use the subject
> line.
> Browsing the filenames (message subjects), it looks like most of the stuff
> is SPAM.  I think a good stategy here would be to just move ALL the
> messages
> over to the /spam directory, then go through each message and move any
> valid
> emails to the /notspam directory, then rebuild the spamdb.

Yes, move messages as needed to either ./okmail or ./spam,
then rebuild the database.  In the future, if something is
misidentified, move it to the "corrected" folders, which I
think are named ./notspam2 and ./spam2.  Messages in these
folders shouldn't be deleted.  At some point you will want
to regularly delete messages in ./okmail, ./spam and ./notspam.

If you are setting up an automated way to report spam (for
example by allowing email updates) you'll need to rebuild
the database regularly.  That's why I use a cron job to make
sure that updates get processed in a timely way.