[mdlug] ASSP update...

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 21 17:01:46 EST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Thuemmel" <ldaphelp at thuemmel.com>
To: "MDLUG's Main discussion list" <mdlug at mdlug.org>
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [mdlug] ASSP update...

> Michael ORourke wrote:
>>> I tell my users to send an email to any new email contacts instead of
>>> telling them their email over the phone so they are autowhitelisted.
>>>
>>> Sorting the spam and the notspam at the beginning is very important, as
>>> well as checking it to make sure it doesn't start dropping mail you
>>> want.  These days I only do it once a week or two, simply moving the
>>> .eml from spam to notspam or vice versa.  I don't find much that was
>>> handled wrong, but some of my users sign up for such crap that they
>>> claim they want.
>>
>> Okay, I see *.eml files accumulating in the <ASSP>/okmail directory, so I
>> need to go through those manually and move them to their respective
>> <ASSP>/spam or <ASSP>/notspam directories?  I remember the docs saying
>> that
>> if you are not sure which directory to move a file to, then just delete
>> it.
>> Do you use a special email reader, or just 'more' each file individually?
>> Looking at some of the 'eml' files, they are not all that easy to read
>> especially if they contain HTML or images.  Just curious as they don't
>> seem
>> to suggest a 'reader' in the docs.  Unless I missed something.  I'm
>> guessing
>> that once you get through the "okmail" directory, you need to run some
>> utility to update the filters, or it runs automatically (via cron)?
>
> Hmm...I don't remember an "/okmail" directory....mine were in /spam or
> /notspam.  I think at first I just double clicked on each .eml file and
> associated an email or plain text reader to that extension to view.  I
> use the ASSP setting to use the subject line as the filename to make it
> simple to just look at the filename and pretty much know if it is junk
> or not.  I quit using the GUI after a few days and just change to the
> spam/notspam directories and issue a ls -lrtc command to look at the
> most recent filenames and then mv (filename) ../spam if it is junk.

I'm doing maint from a PuTTY window, no double clicking here. :-)  Actually,
all the filenames under /okmail look like they already use the subject line.
Browsing the filenames (message subjects), it looks like most of the stuff
is SPAM.  I think a good stategy here would be to just move ALL the messages
over to the /spam directory, then go through each message and move any valid
emails to the /notspam directory, then rebuild the spamdb.

-Mike