[mdlug] External Hard Drives: Mounting, Unmounting, Partial Mounting?

Elisa Gomez shmi85 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 14:11:10 EST 2008

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 02:56:50 -0500
From: Aaron Kulkis <akulkis3 at hotpop.com>
Subject: Re: [mdlug] External Hard Drives: Mounting,
Unmounting, Partial Mounting?
To: MDLUG's Main discussion list <mdlug at mdlug.org>

[blahblahblah]

> So now it should be mounted, correct? But that's not
> reflected in X. There's nothing graphical to
indicate
> that it's mounted and I can't save a file (in X, I
> don't know how to do it via the command line) to the
> drive or anything. Can I rename it manually so it
> stops renaming itself every time I suspend?
>
> ~Elisa

> I use openSuSe and KDE, and everything
JustWorks(tm).

Well. That's not terribly helpful ;)

But I *am* considering switching from Ubuntu. There
are a lot of things that irk me about it, mainly that
I can't have a damn root account. I'd like to be able
to just log in as root, get a bunch of
system-affecting tasks done and log back out like a
normal person without having to sudo this and sudo
that and reenter my password every 15 minutes. Drives
me nuts.

And I *like* Gnome! I tried KDE briefly -- wasn't for
me, it reminded me too much of Macs.

~E

~Elisa