[mdlug] External Hard Drives: Mounting, Unmounting, Partial Mounting?

Elisa Gomez shmi85 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 20 01:20:55 EST 2008

Elisa Gomez wrote:
> But for whatever reason, Ubuntu (Gutsy) seems to
only

From: "Carl T. Miller" <carl at carltm.com>

> If your device and its partition(s) are listed in
the > output,
> run the command "mount" to see if the partition(s)
> was mounted.
> If it's not listed, you can create a directory such
> as /mnt/usb
> and run "mount -t auto /dev/sdXX /mnt/usb",
replacing > the XX with
> a letter and number.

> If that works, you can "ls /mnt/usb" and see your
> files.  If
> it doesn't work, let us know how far you get in the
> process.

The first time I manually mounted, I followed Mike's
suggestion and ran "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt" which worked
great.

I suspended and when I woke the laptop back up, the
disk had unmounted itself and wasn't remounted
automatically. I tried running "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt"
again and I got an error message which I didn't think
to save because after about 30 seconds, the disk
automounted without me having to do it manually.

I suspended again, woke up, it was unmounted again and
ran "mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt". This time I got "mount:
special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist". So I ran
"fdisk -l":

emg at trotsky:~$ fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdc: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0005d416

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id
 System
/dev/sdc1               1       38913   312568641   83
 Linux
emg at trotsky:~$ sudo mount -t auto /dev/sdc /mnt
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
emg at trotsky:~$ sudo mount -ext2 /dev/sdc /mnt
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Then the help page for mount popped up which
unhelpfully didn't note how I'm supposed to format my
filesystem type argument. That's where I'm stuck now,
foiled, as usual, by a single dash.

Duh. As I was writing this, I ran:

emg at trotsky:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt
emg at trotsky:~$ mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
blahblahblah
/dev/sdc1 on /mnt type ext2 (rw)

So now it should be mounted, correct? But that's not
reflected in X. There's nothing graphical to indicate
that it's mounted and I can't save a file (in X, I
don't know how to do it via the command line) to the
drive or anything. Can I rename it manually so it
stops renaming itself every time I suspend?

~Elisa