[mdlug] External Hard Drives: Mounting, Unmounting, Partial Mounting?

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 18 04:57:59 EST 2008

Sounds like 'Gutsy' sees the device (sdb), which is good.  You didn't say if you tried to mount the filesystem you created on sdb from gparted.  From the output of your "df -k" command, I don't see any sdb devices mounted.
You could mount it manually, assuming that your filesystem is on the first partition, you would do something like:
mkdir /external
mount /dev/sdb1 /external
The mountpoint "/external" is just a suggestion.  For Ubuntu, it would most likely be under /mnt or /media.
Or you could also mount the device from gparted.
As far as the disk space issue goes, the 320G number is probably just the manufacturer's disk capacity rating in bytes, the actual formatted space will be less.
Not sure about the camera device, or what it's trying to do.

-Mike