[mdlug] one laptop per child review

Brian Hurley brian at detroitindustrial.org
Fri Jan 18 14:31:07 EST 2008

> But that leads to the arguments that everything is built upon this white
> and
> western process that everything should be fileable and organized in
> filesystems. I think Sugar was a bit of an overly ambitious idea, but you
> have to appreciate the fact that it challenges the status quo. Otherwise
> we
> wouldn't really know that our system is the best out there.

As I said in the review, I don't see the idea of hierachical storage as
being tied to western culture. Is putting vegetables in a wicker basket
any different conceptually than putting MP3s in a folder? Either way it
keeps things from being a jumbled mess.

> We also need to wonder which system is easier for someone completely new
> computers. We are all way too enthralled in the computer world to make
> that
> decision.

That's a great point. I'd be interested in seeing how children access and
store their data given a choice of both a filesystem and time/activity
based Journal. I'm betting they would pick some combination of both if
OLPC gave them that option.

--
Brian Hurley
Detroit Industrial Underground