[mdlug] [Fwd: [opensuse-offtopic] NetSol abuses the domain name, registration system.]

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at hotpop.com
Fri Jan 11 13:02:30 EST 2008

David Relson wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 00:28:10 -0500
> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
>> In short:
>> 1. You want a domain name
>> 2. you look up a domain name to see if it's taken.
>> 3. NetSol (or other) detects the search, and
>>     registers the domain name before you do.
>> 4. Netsol then hopes to sell you the domain name
>>     at some outrageous price, hoping you'll assume
>>     that they intend to use it.
>> 5. After some time, if the domain isn't bought,
>>     then they release the domain name.
>>
>> ICANN has conducted an investigation.
>
> Is #4 accurate?
>
> If I recall, some years back NetSol charged approx $35 to register a
> domain for a year.  At present other registrars seem to charge $8 or
> $10 or more.  The difference of $25 (or so) doesn't seem outrageous.

A 200-300% increase for doing the same electronic paperwork
as everyone else doesn't seem outrageous?

> Of course NetSol's domain squatting to charge the extra fee is pretty
> underhanded ...

That's the point.
A similar ploy in the financial sector, called fronrunning,
(a form of insider trading) is already illegal, and can
put a trader IN JAIL.

<http://www.google.com/search?q=SEC+stock+trader+frontrunning+OR+frontrunner&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=mozilla&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial>

This is a similar abuse of trust, for similar purposes.