[mdlug] Network routing and subnetting?

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 13:33:51 EST 2008

What subnet mask are you using? Every device should be able to see every
device within its subnet mask (of course, the router must have the same
subnet mask), and even outside the subnet mask if a proper gateway is
configured.
So...
If you're using a standard 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, your proposed solution
should work.
Or, if you keep the previous setup and define the 2nd router as the gateway
for all the devices on that router, those devices should be able to talk to
the other subnet through that router.
...although I'm not sure why you'd have the routers on the 10.0.0 subnet
when they service 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 respectively.  Typically the router
address for 10.0.1.x will be 10.0.1.1 and the router address for
10.0.2.xwill be
10.0.2.1

On Jan 8, 2008 1:18 PM, Mathew Enders <mat.enders at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have resevered a chunk of addresses on the network eg 10.0.0.25 -
> 10.0.0.125 I was wondering if I then have a wireles router use one of
> the addresses and itself hand out a portion of the addresses if they
> would see the entire network or still be subneted behind the router.
>
> This is current setup:
>
> router1 obtains ip address 10.0.0.215
> and hands out addresses 10.0.1.1 - 10.0.1.254
> router2 obtains ip address 10.0.0.223
> and hands out addresses 10.0.2.1 - 10.0.2.254
>
> With this current setup all machines being serviced by the routers in
> question can not access the services running on the main network of
> 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.254
>
> This is the proposed setup:
>
> router1 obtains ip address 10.0.0..1
> and hands out addresses 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.11
> router2 obtains ip address 10.0.0.12
> and hands out addresses 10.0.0.13 - 10.0.0.22
>
> My question is will the machines being issued thier addresses by the
> wireless router be able to see and make use of the services running on
> the network that they previously could not
>
> tia
> Mat

Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/