[mdlug] OT - IR jamming

Dave Arbogast mdlug3 at arb.net
Tue Feb 19 13:18:48 EST 2008

Jay Nugent wrote:

>   But *if* these "important people" *are* illuminating themselves with
>high levels of IR, wouldn't that be a VERY bad way of identifying the
>target to any snipers???  DUH???  Just aim at the big bright spot on the
>IR scope and pull the trigger.  Or set the road bomb to go off when high
>IR levels are detected.  Again...DUH???

This was DC at the Whitehouse. The number of visibly armed officers was
many orders of magnitude higher than I have ever seen in Michigan.
Someone trying to ambush the random routes these motorcades take would
likely be spotted long before they could do anything. :-)  There were a
number of roof tops with "tents" on them nearby and people in all black
walking about the edge of the building with devices in their hands. :-)
For all I know they were pointing a dazzler device at me.

On bright spots, I would guess they would use the Dazzlers only when
they see a threat - Like the B-52 jamming officers only use "Papa Jam"
when they can't isolate the in bound threat.

-dave