[mdlug] Email configuration problem

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 01:15:42 EST 2008

Duane Brown wrote:

> My niece works for a company that is having problems with their outbound
> business email. They need some help getting it straightened out. I
> believe it is directly related to a change in their ISP to AT&T DSL.

> They can receive email fine but when they send they get an error
> something like "communications error on port 25".

AT&T/Yahoo! recently changed their mail protocols to SSL, with
"standard" settings for same.   My old non-SSL settings worked, but
Yahoo's mail server groused every time I hit it until I made the
switch to SSL.  Looking at the settings I JUST changed a few days ago
(after not using POP mail for a few months):

Inbound mail (POP) is on port 995 (default SSL in-port on
IceApe/SeaMonkey/Thunderbird).
Outbound mail (SMTP) is on port 465 (default SSL out-port on
IceApe/SeaMonkey/Thunderbird).

These look like the general defaults for SSL-encrypted mail transport.
 It all works fine.  You can check the Yahoo! Mail FAQs for details,
I'm sure...

~~ Mikey