[mdlug] e2fsck - What to do?

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 13:50:04 EDT 2008

--- Jeff Hanson wrote:

> --- Stan Green wrote:
>> I was copying data over NFS when the target computer locked up.
>> I had to hard-boot it to get it back.

> I would try to figure out why it failed in the first place.  Check
> memory with memtest86, make sure fans are working and CPU isn't
> overheating, look for loose cables, blow out the dirt.

Even MORE likely these days are bad electrolytic capacitors, leading
to CPU lock-ups or power supply failure -- especially if the unit is
more than a couple of years old.  Look around the CPU socket and open
the power supply (ignore the warnings, just leave it unplugged for 15
minutes or more) and look for these:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_Plague>
They are usually pretty easy to spot, even to the untrained eye.

~~ Mikey