[mdlug] Trouble mounting an ipod on a linux box

R Kannan rkannan at peoplepc.com
Fri Apr 4 11:19:13 EDT 2008

Hi,

I used to connect an iPod to a usb port on my desktop and use 'gtkpod'
sometime back. The other day when I tried it after a while of using it
on a windows lapop, hot sync could not mount the iPod. dmesg shows me
the following errors.

sdb: I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 2097144
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 2097144
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
 I/O error: dev 08:10, sector 0
sdc : READ CAPACITY failed.
sdc : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
Info fld=0xa00 (nonstd), Current sd00:00: sense key Not Ready
sdc : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
sdc: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
 sdc: I/O error: dev 08:20, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:20, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:20, sector 2097144
 I/O error: dev 08:20, sector 2097144
 I/O error: dev 08:20, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:20, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
 I/O error: dev 08:20, sector 0
SCSI device sdd: 3999744 512-byte hdwr sectors (2048 MB)
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 1159
sdd: Write Protect is off
 sdd: sdd1 sdd2

The iPod works fine with another Linux laptop and a Windows laptop.  Is
this a hardware issue with my usb ports?

Thanks for any help