[mdlug] Ubuntu hardware changes

Michael ORourke mrorourke at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 25 17:25:27 EDT 2007

Thanks Ray.

Here is one of the suggestions I found when I did a Google search...
Switch to single user mode, non graphical login, then run...

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Which asked a lot of questions about the hardware and recreates the
xorg.conf file.  But it wasn't quite right.  Might have been because I
didn't answer all the questions accurately, but not sure.
So I plugged in a spare hard drive and booted up off the live/install CD,
then copied the xorg.conf file.  Probably didn't even need to plug in a
spare hard drive.  After coping the file and rebooting, everything looked
good.

However, it just seems like it should be as easier and have better
autodetection than answering a series of questions.  Sure seems to be able
to figure it out when it boots from cdrom.

-Mike