[mdlug] Ubuntu hardware changes

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Mon Sep 24 18:01:10 EDT 2007

Michael ORourke wrote:
> Lug nuts,
>
> I recently tried ubuntu on a spare PC and it's working rather well, however
> I recently changed the monitor and it seems to be stuck with the old monitor
> configuration.  I'm looking for a utility like YAST but I can't seem to find
> such a tool.  Any suggestions... aside from hand-editing the xorg.conf file?
>
> -Mike

If you're not terrified of the command line, try this command as root:
   # xorgconfig

It will start up a menu based (question and answer based mostly) program
that will quiz you about your hard ware and preferences. It takes a
little getting used to. You must answer the questions in the order they
are give. There is no going backward, so if you give a wrong answer you
will need to kill the program with ctrl-C and then start over. It will
not touch your config file till you tell it to at the end. Backups of
working config are still recommended before you start.

For most questions it is safe to take the default answer (hit enter) if
you don't know. It is a very good idea to have documentation for you
graphics card and your monitor on hand!

Because this tool is a standard part of xorg it has the advantage of
generating nice, clear, very editable xorg.config files.

I hope this helps
Raymond McLaughlin