[mdlug] xdmcp & debian

Tony Bemus tony at bemushosting.com
Tue Sep 18 10:35:09 EDT 2007

I use a app called NX.  freenx server is installed on your Debian 3.1
machine and install a nx client on the other computers, clients for both
Linux and windows, and it uses the standard user login authentication
(no need to add users separately)

Freenx allows you to have a full x session login or just applications.
for anyone familiar with Citrix Metaframe servers (Remote desktops and
Published apps) this is the Linux open source version.

Add this lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
(I use ubuntu 7.04 so these are different than I used)
deb http://ace-host.stuart.id.au/russell/files/debian/sarge/ ./

then:
 #apt-get update
 #apt-get install freenx

you can download the clients from their website www.nomachine.com

Tony

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 18:42 -0400, M. D. Krauss wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:50:53 -0400
> "Clinton V. Weiss" <cvweiss at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 9/17/07, Dean Durant <mdlug at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > > Hello, I have a debian box that I inherited.   The kernel is 2.6.8
> > > ~ so I believe it's debian 3.1+.   I want to configure it for
> > > remote X.   That is, it should be able to serve up X terminals.   I
> > > read through the xdmcp howto, and got that to work on a redhat box,
> > > and it worked the very first time around.   Debian seems to be
> > > completely different.  I'm not finding xfs anywhere, for
> > > instance.   Can anyone tell me what all the differences might be?
>
> $ apt-cache search --names-only xfs
> obexfs - mount filesystem of ObexFTP capable devices
> xfs - X font server
> xfsdump - Administrative utilities for the XFS filesystem
> xfslibs-dev - XFS filesystem-specific static libraries and headers
> xfsprogs - Utilities for managing the XFS filesystem
> xfstt - X Font Server for TrueType fonts
> x11-xfs-utils - X font server utilities
>
> I am not sure if you are saying you want to sit at your Debian box and
> run programs on another machine, or sit at another machine and run
> programs on your Debian box. I am also not sure if you are looking to
> use a full login session with xdmcp (since you did mention it) or if
> you want to ssh in and launch programs (since you said "serve up X
> terminals").
>
> In general, if you have a *DM program (XDM, GDM, KDM) installed and
> configured, you should be fine...
>
> Regards,
> Matthew
Tony Bemus