[mdlug] xdmcp & debian

M. D. Krauss zeros0and1ones at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 18:42:06 EDT 2007

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:50:53 -0400
"Clinton V. Weiss" <cvweiss at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/17/07, Dean Durant <mdlug at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Hello, I have a debian box that I inherited.   The kernel is 2.6.8
> > ~ so I believe it's debian 3.1+.   I want to configure it for
> > remote X.   That is, it should be able to serve up X terminals.   I
> > read through the xdmcp howto, and got that to work on a redhat box,
> > and it worked the very first time around.   Debian seems to be
> > completely different.  I'm not finding xfs anywhere, for
> > instance.   Can anyone tell me what all the differences might be?

$ apt-cache search --names-only xfs
obexfs - mount filesystem of ObexFTP capable devices
xfs - X font server
xfsdump - Administrative utilities for the XFS filesystem
xfslibs-dev - XFS filesystem-specific static libraries and headers
xfsprogs - Utilities for managing the XFS filesystem
xfstt - X Font Server for TrueType fonts
x11-xfs-utils - X font server utilities

I am not sure if you are saying you want to sit at your Debian box and
run programs on another machine, or sit at another machine and run
programs on your Debian box. I am also not sure if you are looking to
use a full login session with xdmcp (since you did mention it) or if
you want to ssh in and launch programs (since you said "serve up X
terminals").

In general, if you have a *DM program (XDM, GDM, KDM) installed and
configured, you should be fine...

Regards,
Matthew