[mdlug] Forget Perl, I'm switching to LOLCODE!

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 21:43:45 EDT 2007

On 9/5/07, Aaron Kulkis <akulkis3 at hotpop.com> wrote:

> Perl has, unfortunately, become the modern PL/1, partially because
> there is such an overlap of features and methods that there are
> many many many MANY ways of doing the same routine task.

Yeah... We all know how unusable English is, with all those different
ways of saying the same thing. How can anybody read a novel?

> Standardization of the structure of code fragments is an important
> component of readability.

No. Learning the language is an important component. Sentence
structure is not a requirement. If it was, nobody would understand
anybody else's run-on sentences, sentence fragments, or dangling
participles. But much as English professors complain, people can still
understand one another pretty darned well.

Perl is a (the only?) computer language written by a linguist. I
personally find that to be a big plus.

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/