[mdlug] Forget Perl, I'm switching to LOLCODE!

Aaron Kulkis akulkis3 at HotPOP.com
Wed Sep 5 00:46:49 EDT 2007

Michael Corral wrote:
> Wolfger a ecrit:
>> http://lolcode.com/home
>
> Well, it is more readable...

I remember a list of "real programmers don't..."

and one was

...don't use PL/1 because *ANYBODY* can be obscure in PL/1.

Perl has, unfortunately, become the modern PL/1, partially because
there is such an overlap of features and methods that there are
many many many MANY ways of doing the same routine task.

Standardization of the structure of code fragments is an important
component of readability (familiarity of a algorithm increases
recognition by OTHER programmers who need to modify/maintain
the code).

Basically, Perl is becoming the MULTICS of programming languages
(suffering from the same sorts of "2nd system effect" that MULTICS
did after the success of OS/360, perl is doing likewise on the
"first systems" of sh/csh/ksh/bash + grep + sed + awk + whatever
comes into vogue each month.....

A great idea gone rogue from feeping creaturism...

:-(