[mdlug] Help with Spotty Internet/Network Problems

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Mon Oct 29 19:39:53 EDT 2007

Yeah, come to the meeting.  We have a lot of fun.

-- "Rebecca Herber" <ramengirl at gmail.com> wrote:
I highly recommend getting a router Elisa. I have AT&T DSL myself and
I have never had any problems since I started a using a router about 2
years ago. I used to just use the DSL modem and the software built
into the operating system to connect and periodically got disconnected
just like you described. Since I started using a router in addition to
the DSL modem, I haven't had any problems at all. I've used it with
both Windows XP Home and Ubuntu with no problems at all, it just
works.

I recommend getting a DLink or Linksys one; I have a DLink DI-604
myself but unfortunately its been replaced by a new model, the
EBR-2310. Just make sure you read the manual or check the online
knowledge base for your router about port forwarding when you are
using Bittorrent. I have found this website very helpful in
understanding how to setup port forwarding and home networking in
general: http://portforward.com/default.htm

I have to apologize to everyone for being a lurker for so long. Maybe
I'll be able to make to a meeting sometime when my work isn't so
demanding. :)

Becky
Becky Herber
ramengirl at gmail.com