[mdlug] K3bDevice::Device Unable to do inquiry

Rich Clark <rrclark@rrclark.net> rrclark at rrclark.net
Wed Oct 24 23:35:10 EDT 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Robert Meier wrote:

> k3b users,
>
> Has anyone a solution to the following error report?
>
> When I use k3b, I see the following error reported repeatedly
> during startup.
>      "K3bDevice::Device Unable to do inquiry"
> After startup, despite these message,
> k3b has been able to record cds with about ~90% success
> (or higher for smaller images).
>
> Though a google search turned up Polish and Germans reporting
> similar problems, I've found no answer.

I was looking into this for my dad's PC after I upgraded it 2 weeks back.
He's got an older CDRW, and what I found was that the older firmware
doesn't support reading the disk for the unrecorded size. He had become
used to using a RW as to just drop files on it so he didn't hog up his
hard disk. I'm also reading on one forum that it may be either permissions
problems or even the media you're using. I've yet to work out my dad's
problem and for now have told him to stockpile things he wants to copy
until he gets 700-800 mb to burn to a disk at once.