[mdlug] Homemade Wireless Antennas

merc escalated at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:40:27 EDT 2007

On 10/17/07, Michael ORourke <mrorourke at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Anyone build one of those parabolic reflecting antennas and/or have one in
> use on a wifi network?  Just curious.
> Here's a link that was posted about a week ago for reference.
> http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/
>
> -Mike

I did at one time, i wasnt very picky with the measuring and cutting
though, so the performance gain i saw from it was minimal, although i
could see some.

I forget exactly what program i was using to measure the signal
strength, but at the time i remember reading that the program wasnt
very accurate either. I figured if i saw any gain, it was some gain,
and just the actual measurement was off.

It was a fun experiment, although i dont use it anymore, it was fun
and iirc pretty effective at 'aiming' the wireless signal (pointing it
one way reduced the wireless range available from 'behind' the
antenna, much like the images on the site describe.) Although, again,
i dont know how much further it helped the signal travel.

Good for about 30-45 minutes of fun(or in my case, maybe 20, tops..)

-Merrick