[mdlug] Linux server, mixed clients

- otakurider at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:30:12 EDT 2007

Another option is a program called FreeNAS, based on freeBSD.  Its only need
32meg to install.   it will accept FTP, NFS, AFP, CIFS (samba), rsync.
Takes about 20 min's to setup.  I have ran into a few old I/F cards that
have problems with FreeBSD so just fyi.

Some testing I have done in the past on comparing pre (3.x samba) to NFS I
have found if you are connecting Unix to Unix then NFS connection speed
tests faster with large files (500meg or larger) for my testing.   For
windos then samba for sure.    If running 3.x samba then its a toss up
between NFS and Samba for large files.   3.x Samba seems a little faster
transfer speeds all around.   From what I have read the 3.x samba uses a
smarter connection setup.  Don't know for sure.

- Pat