[mdlug] Wireless card recommendation -update- WiMax

gib at juno.com gib at juno.com
Tue Oct 9 15:27:52 EDT 2007

Try WiMax.  Base units cost $900 and a subscriber (client) unit about $300 but the distance it covers is much greater.  I saw a base and subscriber unit sell on eBay last night for $201.

-- merc <escalated at gmail.com> wrote:
You may want to try looking into a parabolic reflector for the AP
http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/ -- there are more sites
which get more involved, but that popped up first in my search.

You could also buy a cheap router (i heard buffalo brands were the
cheapest for this) and install ddwrt on it(just flash the firmware on
the router, and its running linux with a nice web interface etc) --
ddwrt will let it act as a wireless repeater.

That's all I have for now, hope it helps.

-Merrick

On 10/9/07, Michael ORourke <mrorourke at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I picked up a D-Link WDA-2320 card from a local store and installed it.
> Seems to be working well.  It uses the Madwifi drivers.  The only problem I
> ran into thus far is where I want to install the PC, I'm not getting a
> signal.  So I temporarily moved the PC closer to the Access Point and
> configured it on the network.  The office I'm trying to get a signal to is
> about 200' from the AP, but there are several walls in between it and the
> PC.  Since that part of the building doesn't have any network cabling, I
> don't have a lot of options.  I might try to move the AP so it's closer, but
> that is not a trivial task.

Vonage - Official Site
$24.99/mo. for unlimited local and long distance calls!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/JKFkuJNza65lgAcpFaKuXbADxXmyqynjqMGZiduKTq636dFsAmQV2M/