[mdlug] eBay phishing Linux-driven?

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:34:33 EDT 2007

Via Jim Fick on the GLLUG list at Michigan State University
<linux-user at egr.msu.edu>:

"eBay phishers use Linux botnets"
<http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=10251>

This article smells more-than-a-little like FUD to me, especially
having been presented at a Microsoft-sponsored meeting-- correct me
(please) if I'm wrong, but don't most (if not all) Linux rootkits
require local access for this kind of privilege escalation?  Or, at
the very least, massive near-deliberate misconfiguration?  Is it
possible that these are Windows machines masquerading as Linux boxen?

The number of botnet-infected Windows machines HAVE to vastly
outnumber the number of Linux/Unix/BSD machines so infected-- why
would infected Linux machines command a premium?

-- Mikey