[mdlug] Here's my idea and rough sketch plan, is it feasible?

Peter Bart peter at petertheplumber.net
Wed Oct 3 15:15:10 EDT 2007

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 14:51:16 -0400
"Robert Adkins" <radkins at impelind.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> 	The bosses are interested in scooting us over to cell phones
> that allow us to access our email while on the road.

	I don't think what I use is what you're looking for but I
thought you might like to know about a Linux device. Also, there is no
monthly charge, so once you buy the device that's it.

> 	Some of these cell phones and devices like the iPod Touch and
> iPhone have built-in WiFi that will allow for "Coffee House Surfing"
> with their built-in web browsers. I know that some websites disallow
> connections referred from other locations, for example to fight the
> Slashdot effect.

	I use a handheld device and I have not yet seen this. I'm
writing this from one of the mechanical rooms in Beaumont Hospital.
It's ideal for hospital work because you're supposed to shut your
phono off inside. FWIW I use separate phones & tablet, one for calls &
one to write, look up, surf, etc.

> 	I also understand that some of these phones may allow the use
> of an SSH application, which means they MIGHT also be able to do port
> forwarding for other webapps on the phone.

	I use a Nokia N800 together with the apps from maemo.org.
There is a ssh server & client available, in addition to Claws email
client.

--
Peter The Plumber sm on the Road