[mdlug] Reordeing IDE drives in a system

Mathew Enders mathew.enders at prodigy.net
Mon Oct 1 16:26:11 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 19:48 -0400, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> Mathew Enders wrote:
> > Is it possible to reorder the drives in a system.  I want to do this so
> > I can eliminate using an add on IDE card as I believe that to be the
> > source of my problems.
> > This is the current configuration:
> >
> > ARDVARC:~# cat /etc/fstab
> > # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> > #
> > proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> > /dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
> > 1
> > /dev/hdc1       /home/staff     ext3    defaults        0       2
> > /dev/hde1       /home/stdnt     ext3    defaults        0       2
> > /dev/hdg1       /staffbak       ext3    defaults        0       2
> > /dev/hdg2       /stdntbak       ext3    defaults        0       2
> > /dev/hda2       /var            ext3    defaults        0       2
> > /dev/hda1       none            swap    sw              0       0
> > /dev/hdb        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> > /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
> > ARDVARC:~#
> >
> > As you can see the drives are currently hda, hdc, hde, and hdg.  I want to
> > physically rearrange the drives so they would become this:
> >
> > hda = hda
> > hdc = hdb
> > hde = hdc
> > hdg = hdd
>
> Mat, it is possible to do what you want.  Two considerations:
> You don't account for your current hdb which is your cdrom.
> Are you planning to leave that unplugged?  Also you'll take
> a performance hit by putting all your drives on a single
> controller.

I addressed the CD-Rom in the redone second fstab that you edited out. I
am planning on attachng that to the IDE card if that will work and I
don't see why itr wont.  If it does not work however I do not have a
probloem with just leaving it un attached.

> If you suspect it is a problem with the current second con-
> troller, can you try replacing it with another one and see
> if that improves things?

I understand I will take a hit with os and staff homes on the primary
controller and student homes and the backup drive on the secondary
controller I hope to minimize this as this is just a temporary fix to
see if it is the controller or the drives.