[mdlug] WiFi -Woes(?) or Broadcom is 'the' lame

Robert Adkins radkins at impelind.com
Thu Nov 29 17:40:21 EST 2007

> >         Nobody got anything on this?
>
> New 1.50 version of NDISwrapper:
> http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/
>
> What distro?  Ubuntu Gutsy bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/
> +bug/124159

	I use OpenSuSe 10.3.

	Ubuntu is just the latest Linux community darling. Since I started
using SuSe, I've always found it to be much more complete, especially in
regards to laptop support.

	I also enjoy the fact that when you update the kernel, the OpenSuSe
Yast2 system is smart enough to update all other software that it installed
which has to have kernel specific modules for it. For example, the Nvidia
drivers, when you update the Kernel, it actually rebuilds the Nvidia Kernel
interface at the same time so when you reboot, you are presented with a GUI
again.

	I've heard that Ubuntu lacks that. A guy in a class I am taking
asked me why his X Windows was flashing at him and continually crashing. I
remembered, from seeing that often enough, that he must have been using the
Nvidia driver and recently updated his Kernel. He said yes on both counts.
So, I explained to him how to manually fix it.

	Might already be using the latest NDIS, although I am beginning to
suspect that the version of the wireless drivers I am using could be out of
date and thus not capable of handling the WPA calls that the wpa_supplicant
is asking it to handle.

	-Rob