[mdlug] WiFi -Woes(?) or Broadcom is 'the' lame

Ingles, Raymond Raymond.Ingles at compuware.com
Thu Nov 29 15:56:33 EST 2007

> From: Robert Adkins

> The WiFi is "working", it just doesn't appear to be properly
> supporting WPA authentication... I would rather not leave myself wide open.

 Well, there's WEP, which isn't secure but does serve to discourage casual
leechers. It won't stop (or even seriously slow down) a specific attack (it's
been called "'as useful as a chocolate teapot' in sensitive environments")
but for example, I can see three other unsecured WAPs from my bedroom. Unless
someone was specifically after me, they'd just go after the other low-hanging
fruit. It's not "wide open"; more like "the door's closed but not locked".

 However, I've also placed my WAP low in my basement. The signal isn't detectable
(at least, with the hardware I have) from the street, but I have no trouble
hooking up anywhere in my house with reasonable speed.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles                                               (313) 227-2317

    How to fix your Windows Application when it doesn't work:
     (1) Stop and start the program
      (2) Log in and log out again
       (3) Reboot the machine
        (4) Reinstall the application again
         (5) Reinstall the operating system
          (6) Dance naked around the machine, waving a rubber chicken
           (7) "Take your machine back for servicing"
                           - Chris Wedgwood