[mdlug] OT: Want to swap AGP Geforce2 MX 200 for PCI video card w/Hardware T&L

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Tue Nov 27 06:11:43 EST 2007

Michael Rudas wrote:
> Raymond Ingles wrote:
>> I have a desktop Wifi card (that works with Linux) that I would add to the above
>> Geforce card in exchange for a PCI Hardware T&L card, or a 800MHz+ Slot 1 CPU.
>
> Slot-1 CPUs were not made faster than about 600-650 MHZ (to my
> knowledge),

Actually Slot-1 CPUs went up to 1000MHz, in both 100MHz and 133MHZ FSB
varieties. I have one, a 1000/100 as my emergency backup computer. And
if you get this post it's because it was sent to you thru the MDLUG
server, a converted dual 866/133 Dell workstation (OptiPlex iirc).

Additionally  a company called Power-Leap <http://www.powerleap.com/>
offers adapters for running a 1400MHz in a Slot-1 board. They worked
great on several machines. In fact my nephews are still using a machine
with one of those. But of the several I bought two (or three I forget)
quit working after only 2 years. And they are kind of pricey, $150 which
includes a 1400MHz Celeron.

> as the Pentium III's i810 chipset or your niece's i815
> chipset are intended for Socket 370 processors.  Your older MB has a
> 440BX chipset or the older 440LX, neither of which support faster
> processors (or SDRAM faster than 66 MHz without overclocking).
>
> You might check with Silicon Alley Recyclers --
> www.SiliconAlleyRecyclers.us -- to see if they have anything useful
> and cheap...

Last time I checked, about a year ago, Micro-center had servicable
Ge-Force PCi cards for ~$40.